Skip to Main Content

Faces Behind the Places of DePauw University

This guide includes historical information about the people behind DePauw University's building names.

Clem Studebaker

                                                                              Clem Studebaker
                                                                       March 12, 1831 – November 27, 1917

Clem StudebakerThe Studebaker name rose to prominence due to their success in the transportation industry. Of the five Studebaker brothers, Clem and Henry partnered together to form H & C Studebaker, a wagon manufacturing company based in South Bend, Indiana. The youngest brother, John, partnered with Clem after Henry’s health began to decline. Together Clem and John reorganized the business as Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Co. The company flourished with employee numbers rising from 140 to 900 in just ten years, making Studebaker Brothers the largest manufacturer of wagons and buggies in the world. Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Co. started experimenting with automobile manufacturing in 1897. Studebaker’s autos went on to become style icons for the industry. After years of automobile production, the last Studebaker car was produced in 1966.

Studebaker was a DePauw University trustee for over twenty years. Studebaker’s connection to DePauw included his wife Ann Milburn, whose father had been a trustee. Their son Clement Studebaker, Jr. entered the DePauw Academy in 1880. The couple made multiple donations to the university, including Ann’s gift of a grand piano in 1882.


Studebaker HallClem Studebaker Memorial Administration Building is the gift of Colonel George M. Studebaker, Mrs. Anne Studebaker Carlisle, and Mr. Clement Studebaker, Jr. in memory of their father and mother, Clem Studebaker and Ann Milburn. The cornerstone was laid on June 5, 1918.