Skip to Main Content

Faces Behind the Places of DePauw University

This guide includes historical information about the people behind DePauw University's building names.

O'Hair Family

The O'Hair house, once located at 209 East Seminary and Spring streets in Greencastle, was built in 1885. Fred L. O'Hair and family lived at the residence. He was the president of the Central National Bank in Greencastle. In 1938, the heirs of the O'Hair house donated their family home to DePauw University. It was converted into the university health center and included offices for the physician, examination and treatment rooms, an X-ray room, laboratory and diet kitchen on the first floor. The second floor housed rooms for a limited number of patients. Beginning in 1941, fees paid by students entitled them to the full use of the health service, including hospitalization for one week at the O'Hair house or the Putnam County Hospital. The house served as the university health center until the 1980s. The building was razed on July 6, 2022 due to structural issues.