Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MUS 130 Research Assignment
Each short essay should be about 4 pages long (1,000 words). Due dates for the “draft,” presentations, and final paper are on the course calendar.
- Make sure to research the topic using materials in the music library and other materials as needed (recordings on YouTube, for example)
- As you research your topic, include the the best facts and evidence about the topic -- don’t include everything you find! Only include what is useful to your argument.
Consider Small's themes in Musicking:
- Music is not an object but an action
Consider Bakan's approach:
- Chapter 1:
- 5 propositions of exploring World Music;
- Be sure to closely examine #5: the problems of ethnocentrism (and the three options to deal with it)
- Chapter 2:
- Meaning is the glue that binds sound and culture to form music
- Conceptions of music are closely tied to conceptions of identity (group and individual)
- Society may be defined as a group of persons regarded as forming a single community of related, interdependent individuals (as seen in social organizations)
- Culture is a defined mainly by a collective worldview shared by its members (beliefs that underscore social organization: religions, phyllophytes, ethical principles, rituals)
- important terms: nations, nation-states, nationalism, colonialism, post-colonialism, diaspora, transnational communities
- Music is made by individuals who exist within the networks of society and culture outlined above
- Roles of Music in Society and Culture:
- Music and spirituality
- Music and Dance
- Music and Ritual
- Music as a commodity
- Music and patronage
- Transmission of Music and Music Knowledge:
- production and reception
- creation (composition, performance, improvisation, arranging)
- tradition (canon)
Recommended Resources for MUS 130
Oxford/Grove Music Online This link opens in a new window
- Why search here? You’re doing research on music.
- What's included? Both an encyclopedia and dictionary, Oxford/Grove Music Online is a reference source offering articles, biographies, and audio on music worldwide.
Bloomsbury Popular Music This link opens in a new window
- Why search here? You’re doing research on popular and world music.
- What's included? Bloomsbury Popular Music provides in-depth analysis of popular music in a global context. It includes Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World, the 33 1/3 series of books exploring key albums, and more.
DePauw's Library Catalog
Search DePauw's Library Catalog, also known as Discovery Search. This searches our physical as well as our digital collection.
Music and Performing Arts Librarian