Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This library class guide has been created for the Communicating Science FYS. Please email me if you have any questions about your research or if you'd like to set up a research consultation.
Caroline Gilson / firstname.lastname@example.org
Popular vs. Scholarly Sources
Use these library subscription databases to access articles
Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new window
- Why search here? Great starting point, with something for every subject!
- What's included? Lots of full-text, mostly peer-reviewed and recent, with some older and popular sources.
Annual Reviews This link opens in a new window
- Why search here? You want to read summaries of previous research on a topic, giving you historical context and current understanding of the subject, as well as a list of sources to consult.
- What's included? Over 30,000 literature reviews in the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences, dating back to 1932.
JSTOR This link opens in a new window
- Why search here? It’s an excellent tool for scholarly articles and books/chapters from university presses, covering most disciplines.
- What's included? The collection's strength lies in its complete back issues of journal titles covering 75 disciplines, while a weakness is a "moving wall" limiting access to the most recent journal issues - the coverage skews older, so it’s not always a great starting point for researching topics that need to have the most current sources.
Science Direct College Editions This link opens in a new window
- Why search here? You are looking for full-text scholarly articles on science, education, psychology and business topics.
- What's included? Full-text of over 500 journal titles in the areas of science, technology, business and medicine.
PubMed This link opens in a new window
- Why search here? You are searching for articles in the health and medical sciences.
- What's included? 26+ million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals for biomedical articles.
General Science Magazines and News Sites