Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Starting Your Search
- It helps to start by writing a list of terms that you will use in your search.
- Keep notes as you research, the terms you used, where you searched, what you found.
- Once you have some terms do some background research to add more terms to your list.
- Now you have a bit more information on your topic start looking for more in depth information.
- Search for books, use the bibliography to find even more books or articles. Call numbers starting with A-D are on the second floor, E-Z are on the third floor.
- Use library databases to search for articles.
- As you encounter words, theories, etc. that you don't know circle back to do more background reading.
The librarians and your professor are here every step of the way.
To find books (and more!) use DePauw's Discovery search. It will also search materials owned by libraries all over the world.
1.8 million high-quality images. It includes architecture, painting, photography, sculpture, decorative arts and design, as well as archeological and anthropological objects, and visual and material culture more generally.
To save/print high quality images you must register. No commercial or non-educational use allowed.
Sometimes we don't have access to the item you want, but we have a way of getting it for you...Interlibrary Loan. If you don't find a link to full-text or a call number, you'll see this button:
If you request an item using Interlibrary Loan, it will take up to 7-10 days to be received. When the item comes in, you will be notified by e-mail. Some items will be available electronically in your ILL account; others you will pick up at the Circulation desk.
Login to ILLiad to enter information for a request that you need to make manually, to check the status of a request, or to request a renewal.
Full-text collection of over 200 core academic subjects, language and quotation dictionaries, as well as Oxford University Press encyclopedias and companions series.
Oxford Art Online
Online gateway for Grove Art Online and other Oxford art reference works.
Academic Search Complete
Articles (or article summaries) from scholarly journals, newspapers and popular magazines covering most academic disciplines. Some as far back as early 1900's, but mostly since about 1970. Free to all Indiana residents via INSPIRE.in.gov
Art Full Text
Articles (or article summaries) from scholarly journals and magazines covering fine, decorative and commercial art, folk art, photography, film, and architecture. Also indexes book reviews, dissertations and art reproductions.
Abstracts journal articles, books, etc. Modern & contemporary art (from the late 19th century onwards), including the history of photography.
Journal article archive, covering humanities, social sciences and science. Begins with vol. 1, issue 1, 1800's, or even earlier (most titles exclude the most recent 3-5 years; some titles have current issue access).
Throughout your searches you will see this icon/button:
Click on it to see:
- if the article is online in another database
- if we have a physical copy in the libraries
- if not, and it looks useful for your research, you can request an Interlibrary Loan
To find full text for articles or ebooks when using our Discovery Search, click the Access Online button: