Learn How To:
Create an Account on EndNote Web
- Connect to my.endnote.com from a computer on the DePauw network. Note: you will need to login from a computer connected to the DePauw network at least once every twelve months.
- Click the “Sign Up for an account” link.
Add References Individually
- Click on the “Collect” tab, then click on “New Reference.”
- Select the reference type from the drop down menu (i.e., journal article).
- Enter the reference information and click “Save.”
Add References using Online Search (Note: This feature not working for DePauw users.)
Only free databases are available for searching via the Online Search feature. These databases include PubMed (biomedical journal articles) and library catalogs. If the database requires a password, use the Import option below.
Add References using Import
- Search a database and save citation records you want to keep to a file. For database-specific instructions about saving records, go to the Help link and select the "Import Formats" link under "Collect References".
- From the “Collect” tab, select “Import References.”
- Browse to locate the downloaded file containing the references.
- Select the type of file (i.e., select the import filter that corresponds to the database you used to obtain the citation records).
- Click the “Import” button.
- If you want manage your list, click on "Select Favorites".
Add References using Direct Export
You can import references directly into your EndNote Basic account from databases on the Web of Knowledge platform...for DePauw, this includes Web of Science.
- Perform a search in the database.
- Select records you want to keep.
- Click the “Save to My EndNote Web” button.
Work with Groups
You can organize your references into Groups. To create a new Group, click on the "Organize" tab. Then click on the New Group button. Then click on the My References tab to sort your saved references.
- Select “All of my references” from the left menu.
- Check the boxes next to the references you want to move into a specific Group.
- From the "Add to group…” drop down menu, select the name of the Group.
Share a Group
You can share Groups with other users, including users at other institutions. However, access to shared Group is read-only, so other users cannot modify a Group you share.
To share a Group you created:
- Click on the "Organize" tab. Click on Manage My Groups.
- Click on the "Manage Sharing" button next to the record set you want to share.
- Enter or update the e-mail addresses who will share the Group. Use the “Enter” or “Return” key to separate addresses.
- Click the “Apply” button.
Create a Stand-Alone Bibliography
You can create a formatted stand-alone bibliography with your references.
- In EndNote Basic from the “Format” tab, select “Bibliography.”
- Choose the references, bibliography output style and file format. If you want to export the bibliography to Word, select the RTF file format.
- Select an option to save, email or print the bibliography.
Need More Help?
After you log in, there is a Help section that offers more information about all the features of EndNote Basic. Look for the link in the top right portion of the screen.