Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Rocky Horror Show began as a stage play in the upstairs experimental theater space of London's Royal Court Theatre. The song and book were written by O'Brien and the play was directed by Jim Sharman.
Meet fellow Rocky fans, find local showtimes, read blog posts, and discover general information about the film and play productions and their histories, all compiled by devoted fans.
In the common world, this usually refers to a person who has not engaged in sexual relations. In the ROCKY HORROR world, this word refers to the many unfortunate people who have never experienced THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (RHPS) in a theater with an audience and a live cast. Seeing it on home video (Blu-ray, DVD, VHS, Netflix Instant, etc.) or on TV doesn't count!
Here is a basic list of props and instructions for their use in participation to RHPS. This list may vary according to theater policy or local customs.
Props, Audiences, and Rocky Horror
What makes The Rocky Horror Picture Show a cult classic?
Ten Commandments of Richard O'Brien
- Richard O'Brien is the lord and thou may have many other lords before him as he can only be so many places at once.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image of the lord and kneel down to it. Thou shalt only kneel when He stands before you, pants down.
- Thou shalt not spell the lord's name improperly, for He does not hold guiltless anyone who misspells His name.
- Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy by wearing small amounts of clothing and screaming obscenities at the screen. Six days thou shalt labor, and work, and fit in with the normals, but come Friday or Saturday midnight, you are a Rocky fan, and you must break your fast at Denny's after the show.
- Honor thy father and thy mother if you are underage, or at least don't get caught.
- Thou shalt not actually kill Eddie, Frank, Columbia or anyone else within your floor or pre show.
- Thou shalt not feel too guilty when committing adultery at Rocky.
- Thou shalt not steal any images from the website of another Rocky fan without first obtaining permission and giving due credit.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness for the sake of a virgin who does not wish to be proclaimed.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ass, nor his ox, but thou shalt take it, provided it gives consent.