This guide provides information about international & ethnic foods & cooking. I hope it helps international students, and any students or employees who enjoy or want to learn about food. It features:
- restaurants & grocers in the nearest larger cities
- the greatest variety is in Indianapolis, about 1 hour's drive east of DePauw, but it's spread throughout a fairly large city
- Bloomington (1 hour south), Terre Haute (1 hour west), and Lafayette (90 minutes north), are all much smaller & easier to get around, with a number of stores & restaurants, especially Indian, Chinese, and Mexican food; Bloomington & Lafayette have much more variety than T.H.
- Crawfordsville (45 minutes north) has a couple of small shops
- books about food & cooking & food culture available at DePauw's libraries & the nearby Putnam County Public Library (DePauw students and employees are welcome at the public library!) Click through to the catalog to see if the specific book is checked out. If it is, each library has a process for "holding" or "recalling" a book so you can have it next. Ask at the circulation desks.
- newspaper & magazine articles about foods of many cultures
- other sources of info, like podcasts and food shows from radio stations
Please use the "comments" feature or email me with suggestions, requests, etc.
Your expertise needed!
Each city listing on this guide has one or more directories of restaurants that let people post comments or reviews. Please, if you visit these restaurants, share your experiences by posting to them, especially if you know about that culture's food! Several will post photographs, if you take pictures of the food & decor.
Your feedback on the books, articles, etc. is also welcome!
Consortium of 50+ ethnic or national affinity organizations plus other groups, corporations and individuals interested in celebrating Indy's diversity.
Sorry, chat is offline. You can call us or send us an e-mail. The schedule at http://bit.ly/aZo5re shows when librarians should be available.